Sunday, July 25, 2010

You're Worth It!

Have you ever taken the time to just think about what you put your time into?  If so, spend some time comparing it to the things that you want - in life, in work, financially, family, etc, etc, etc.  How does the time you spend compare to the things you want?  You need to realize something very important:  You're going to get exactly what you're willing to put your time into.  So, where are you spending your time?

I want to be (for lack of better words) a famous management guru.  I also want to someday win a million dollars in a world class poker tournament.  I want my kids to be crazy smart and be more successful that I dream of even myself being.  I want my wife to think and say nice things about me when she thinks of me and talks to others (and I want her to mean it).  All of that stuff takes work (TIME).

What do you want?  Maybe you want to make more money.  Maybe you want to make A LOT more money.  Or, maybe you want to be a better cook, or a better student.  Maybe you want to be a better hunter, better coach, better mom or better dad.  You just might want to be better than the person in the office next to you.  OR - Maybe you want to be the best at something.  (Yes, I know - I've made my point.)

Personally, I think you should want to be the best at something.  I sure do.  I want to be the best at everything that I do.  Well then, figure out all the other places you're wasting your time and re-allocate that time to the things you want to be best at.  Then, work at being the very best in the world.  Don't sell yourself short either.  Believe me, you can be the best at something.

I'll get you started.  This is so easy - I promise you that you can get this done. 

Step 1:  Write Down Exactly and Specifically What You Want to be THE BEST AT.
Step 2:  Write down 5 or 10 ways you can make that happen.
Step 3:  Never, ever give up until you've accomplished your goals.
Step 4:  Give yourself a way of knowing when you've accomplished your goals. 
Step 5:  Reward yourself for getting it done.

Also, be reasonable.  Look, I want to be President of the United States, but they're not going to let that happen.  I also want to be Free Safety for the Dallas Cowboys, but I can't list all the reasons that's not going to happen.  However, I do want to make $350,000 per year.  I can make that happen, so I'm working the steps.  I do want to be on the cover of a business-related magazine.  I can make that happen too, so I'm working the steps.  I'm just putting the time in that it takes to get this done.  It's hard work, but the payoff is going to be huge.  And, I think I'm worth it.  And, so are you.

Finally, if you find yourself reading this and telling yourself reasons you can't do what you want, or reasons you can't have success in areas that I think you should, then stop it.  Start back over at the top and try again.  Don't shut yourself down.  There are plenty of people out there who will try to do that.  Don't help them.  Lots of people are going to tell you that you can't do stuff.  That's OK.  They're wrong anyways.  Don't make it true by buying into it.

For lots of people, this requires a complete paradigm shift in their lives, but you know what?  Make that shift.  Don't sell yourself short.  You're worth the success that you dream you should have and it's not too late either.  Carpe Diem - "Sieze the Day!"  Sieze it every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment