Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Blown Away

I had a recent experience at a local tanning salon, named MAX TAN, that literally blew me away, from the perspective of customer service. It made such a huge impression on me that I feel compelled to write about it. The lesson you will learn is so simple: remember names and address customers by name. Here's the story. . .

I last visited this tanning salon 5 years ago. When I decided to go back 5 years later, I walked in and the manager, who was there 5 years ago, said, "Hi Chris". It stopped me in my tracks. I couldn't believe it. He remembered my name after 5 years. He walked around the corner from a hallway, made eye contact with me, and addressed me by name without hesitation. I have to admit that although I recognized him, I couldn't remember his name. He made a dramatic impact on me (and I teach this stuff!). Of course, I asked him, "How did you do that?" He didn't have any tricks. He said that he just remembered. Every day since then, he has addressed me by name and I always remember the 5 year thing. What an impression!

The other great thing about this company is that every person who works there addresses me by name - even some of the people who I have never met or been introduced to. One of the employees even opened the door for me when I left there today. This company truly gets CUSTOMER SERVICE. What does it cost them to use my name? Zero! Guess how many people I've told? Before writing this article - at least 10. That's the best marketing a company can ever hope to get - a customer's enthusiastic testimonial and recommendation.

As an additional note on this company's overall service, their salon is always ridiculously clean, the employees are always smiling and making eye contact, they price their services reasonably and give customers multiple options for the various levels of available tanning agreements. They are simply unbeatable.

As a business manager, or as a person who simply wants to make a great impression on others, take a lesson from MAX TAN. Address people by name. Do whatever it takes to remember names. There are books available on remembering names. Get one if that's what it takes. Take pictures (with consent) of your customers to attach to their profile in your company database. Whatever it takes, address customers by name. You will blow them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment