Sunday, March 8, 2009

Think BIG!

The most successful people in our history have been big thinkers. Thinking big is a key ingredient to reaching huge goals. Instead of thinking incrementally, you need to think exponentially. My company just finished back-to-back record-breaking years. After reaching such a great accomplishment, I decided that I wanted to double in the next two years. So, I set a goal to double in the next two years. Simple. In order to reach big goals, you first must set big goals. Guess what has happened? The first 2 months of this year were double the average of the last 2 years. Setting big goals can be powerful. We'll keep it going in that direction too!

What big goals have you set for yourself and your business? Guess what? They aren't big enough, so set them higher. The pastor of my church, who is a very wise and great man, once said that God wants us all to achieve great things. He said that regardless of how big we think, it's never big enough. So, of course I look back at my business goal of doubling and I wonder how small that goal really is compared to my abilities. We'll sure see.

Get out of your comfort zone. Anyone can set conservative and easy goals. If anyone can do it, then it's not good enough. Be a little uncomfortable with your big goals. I want people to think you're just being cocky when you announce your goals. Good! Let them think that.

And, that leads to the next point - announce your goals publicly. You need to write them down, share them with others, and be held accountable for reaching those goals. Most people will work like hell to do what they say they are going to do. So, say it loud. Everyone in the organization, in your family, and your circle of friends needs to be aware of your big goals. Give yourself something big to live up to.

What's the worst thing that could happen by setting big goals - even bigger goals, announcing them and then working like crazy to reach them? Only good things can happen. Shoot for the moon and reach the stars. If I plan to double, but then only increase profit by 50%, do you think anyone's going to ridicule me? Heck no! I'll be known as the guy who broke company records 3 years in a row. I'll take that any day. Wouldn't you?

So, think BIG - BIGGER! Be careful though. This kind of thinking could make you famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment