Saturday, February 21, 2009

Do What Nobody Else Will Be Able To

I heard a quote several years ago that changed my total point-of-view and I have never forgotten it. Do what nobody else is willing to do today so that you can do what nobody else is able to do later. After hearing this, I re-evaluated everything.

I had to first determine what I wanted to be able to do later. I needed big dreams.

1. Vacation in Las Vegas with my wife anytime that I want to go.
2. Drive a Ferrari (this is my dream car).
3. Send both of my sons to Notre Dame.
4. Retire before I'm 50.
5. Buy my wife her dream house.

For me, this required a total paradigm shift. I started thinking like the kind of person who would accomplish those goals. Along the way (and I am still not close YET) I have made some momentum-accelerating decisions.

1. I get out of bed earlier than before.
2. I eat only healthy foods.
3. I work out (hard) at least 4 days per week.
4. Every time I get into my car, I listen to an audio book instead of the radio or music CD's.
5. I keep 2 or 3 business books on my nightstand to read when I'm going to sleep.
6. Instead of Sportscenter, I usually watch CNBC or Fox Business Network.
7. I became a member of the American Management Association to keep up-to-date on current management topics.
8. I am learning other aspects of business that I wasn't very good at before (web design currently).
9. My wife and I are getting out of debt (or as I call it: working towards financial freedom).
10. I write these blogs which along with helping others, also helps to keep me sharp because I want my blog topics to be super-relevant to everyone that reads it.

I am doing what others don't want to do today and I will be able to do things that others won't be able to do later. Can you say the same thing? What is your list of things to do now so that you can achieve your future goals? I hope you will be able to vacation at your favorite spot, drive your dream car, send your kids to your favorite school, and give your wife her dream house. I especially hope you don't have to work into your 60's or 70's just to survive financially.

I think this is the kind of thing that separates #1's from everyone else. If you're not doing this already, get started! Do today what nobody else is willing to do so that you can do later what nobody else is able to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment